Friday, June 4, 2010

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Flowers are blooming on the west side of the House. I have designated this area as the "Grandmother's Flower Garden". My plan over time is to plant Flowers which the Grandmothers of yore would have had. I am especially interested in Plants which have a history in our Family and a history in this County. I have also included Prairie Plants.

The yellow Columbine is from Mother. I just love Columbine. It's the State Flower of Colorado and way up on my list too. I think the look like a whole troupe of Ballerinas dancing in the breeze.
This annual Pink Poppy is from Marcia Melberg, my longtime Gardening Mentor and Friend from North Dakota Days. Marcia was an extraordinary Gardener. We were blessed to have her as a Neighbor. But I was also blessed to have her so close by when my interest in Gardening was taking off.

I know she was thrilled that I was at last interested in Gardening. She would come through our back Garden Gate laden with Plant Treasures. She did not bring 2 plants intentionally across the Street. They came themselves. The Poppy was one. We had had several in our yard that Summer of 1999. The Pink Poppy began to bloom on the very day that she died. Somehow, I think she had a hand in that.
The Coreopsis is another of my favorites. It is a plant Native to the Tallgrass Prairie. Its bright sunshine Flowers ride high on slender stems, unless we've had Rain and Wind, which happened recently.
And no garden is complete without Lilies. These Lilies came from Rachel Long. She gave them to me on Mother's Day in 2008. Rachel was convinced she should plant Lilies wherever she goes. I think that is a very good idea.
This Spider Wort is also a Plant Native to the Tallgrass Prairie. It is large and robust in my Grandmother's Garden. Simultaneously, it is blooming in spots through the Prairie. I just love its Bluish Flowers. They bloom in morning and by afternoon, they quit. They surely must think that Naps are good.
I love Gallardia too. It is a Native Plant to the Tallgrass Prairie, but I believe this is a Cultivar. Our neighbor in North Dakota, Avis Skarperud, had them blooming along her white Stucco House.
I bought this Blue Flag at a Native Plant Sale at the Grow Native Workshop a year ago. Yes, it is a Native. And it is ever so beautiful. These would have been plants that greeted those early Settlers. Sadly, with all the development, very few remain. Did you know that less than .1% of the Tallgrass Prairie remains? Who would have thought?
Lamb's Ear is named for its appearance and feel. I just love it. Little Kids love it too. It can be quite vigorous. Ours needs to be cut back.

And every Grandmother's Garden needs Coleus. I planted these from Seeds. They seemed to take forever, but now they are beginning to put on a show.
Mother gave me a start on this "Snowball Bush" (Hydrangea). When we moved here in the spring of 2007, she was asking what plants that I wanted. I said "Yes" and "Yes" and "Yes". I remember Dad would just instantly dig them up. I could not understand the urgency. But he passed in July of that year. It makes more sense now.

The Grandmother's Garden is a trip down memory lane. It is also a Garden which honors the strong Women who made homes in this Country sometimes in the face of considerable Challenge.

No comments: