Saturday, May 7, 2011

Picking Up A Dropped Stitch

As a Knitter, I know I am not supposed to drop stitches.  If I do, it is a mess.  The whole thing can unravel. Sometimes I do drop stitches.  When I do, I better go back and pick them up.  Life isn't so different.  Sometimes we drop stitches that we are supposed to pick up later. For me singing is one of them.

When I was a child, I sang with the exuberance of a child. It didn't take me long to figure out that I was supposed to still my voice within the narrow frame of expectation. It also didn't take me long to learn that some people are designated as singers and some people just aren't.  And so, I quit.  Sure, I would hum or sing along to music on the radio or CD. That period marked about 3 decades of relative silence.

About 20 years ago, I began a journey that was about reclaiming my voice.  Singing was surely a part of that.  As my journey continued, the range and depth of my voice just kept increasing.  Sometimes I was stunned at what would come out.  It was a far cry from those days of singing when the range was small.  Once again, I had reconnected with a love that I had always had, the love of singing.

This spring, I joined Community Chorus.  And this Monday, May 9, 7:30 pm, we have our concert.  It's the 1st time I have been in a Chorus and had a performance since I was the 4th tallest Angel on the right in the Christmas program. 

Dear Melanie has stayed in touch with Choir throughout her life.  And of course, I was right there on the front row for all but one of those performances.  When we moved here, Mother joined us in the audience.  We would sit a few rows back.  This time, I am on the 1st set of risers, which was what I was on in the 6th grade.  Some things change.  Others don't.  I am  excited and blessed about what is giving birth in me.

No comments: