Monday, December 7, 2009

Checking in on Chickens


Richard let the Chickens out this morning, or rather I should say he opened the Door to their House. They were cold and reluctant to come outside. Plus, for the 1st time this year, the ground was covered with Fluffy White Stuff.

As is their custom, they headed exuberantly toward the door. However, on this day, those 1st Birds at the door put on their Brakes and all those Chickens behind them did the same. Upon his return to the Humans' House, Richard reported a big Traffic Pile up at the Door.

I later visited them on my way back from the Mailbox. Outside, all things were quiet, which is not usual fare. I only saw 3 Chickens outside, all 3 of which were young from this year and lower on the peck order. I ducked my head inside their house. A goodly number of Chickens were remarkably content with the warmth of their house compared to the outside, cushy straw, great food, and liquid refreshment.

In the meantime, I headed back to my own nice house. And I smile: Some things seem a lot the same.

No comments: