Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Last of the Leeks

Richard harvested the last of the Leeks from the west Garden today. And were they huge. Amazingly, we would have planted those Leeks from Seeds the end of January of this year. They have been growing 11 months, making them our longest growing Crop in the Soil. They have also endured lowest temperatures around 3 Degrees Fahrenheit.

We had grown Leeks in North Dakota, but were not very successful. They were small. We kept them in the ground for 2-3 seasons and they were still small. We did not know much about their growth habit and we knew even less about how to use them.

I think Leeks have become 1 of our new Garden Friends. We just love them. We love Onions and we did harvest a lot. We have been eating Leeks these past 3 months. Not only are they good, but they are extending our Onion Season. It's hard to believe that in 1 more month we will be planting Leek Seeds, among others.

Melanie is fixing a Chicken and Leek Pot Pie for our Anniversary Dinner. It comes from Andrea Chesman's Serving Up the Harvest. Melanie says that the Pot Pie will also feature the last of the Rutabaga and the Celeriac.

I gotta go because I am up next. I am preparing an Open Faced Custard Pie which includes Blackberries, Strawberries, Peaches, and Blueberries. The Custard Pie is a modification from the Joy of Cooking. It reminds me of pastries I would have had in Germany when I toured there with Aunt Mary in 1981. As soon as the Pot Pie comes out, the Custard Pie goes in.

Should we eat at the Table or in front of the Fire in the Wood Stove? Oh, the wonderful decisions that we get to make.Notes on 1st Photo: (1) I glanced at that photo and I thought: "I should write that the Earth produced that Leek." I thought about it for a moment and concluded that: "The Earth produced that strong arm and everything in that picture. How could we ever forget?" (2) Patty Szczys: You may note that the corner of your envelope is in the background. We just got your lovely holiday greeting in the mail today. We smiled. Yes, you can stop by to visit and weed on your way to see your parents next summer. We would be absolutely thrilled.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wowie! I have a serious case of leek envy! :)