Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bean Twist

On this day, Richard had headed into the Garden to weed.  I brought my notebook out and took notes on my Dry Edible Beans.  It is amazing to see how different they grow. Some observations in passing:
  • Some of the Bush Beans have started out with a bit of a "Pole Habit". 
  • I wonder if I left the Beans planted too thick.  The recommendation is to plant about 2x the amount of space that the adult plants need.  I have a hard time pulling out Beans. I may want to pay greater attention to this next year.
  • Last year's Beans were pretty "normal" to start out with.  Then they just sat there.  These Beans are continuing to grow and by comparison, they look really robust. The Raised Beds seemed to have made a huge difference.
  • I noted that the Pole Beans "pole" in a counter clockwise direction.  Melanie noted the same thing.  I wonder: Is normal for all Beans?  What "central intelligence" drives this?  How do they know?  Is there some advantage to this preference? Is it different in the Southern Hemisphere? 

No comments: