Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thoughts on Rising Waters

During these times, our thoughts drift to the flooding along the Missouri and the Souris.  We follow the news and we send love and healing wishes to all those who are affected, whether we know them (from our experience up North) or not. 

Having experienced the Grand Forks Flood of 1997, it is pretty easy to go there into our own shared space.  Of course, every experience is different but there are surely common themes for those who have experienced natural disasters.  And just perhaps, it is in these moments that hearts are open, regardless of whether we know someone there or not.  It sort of makes me wonder why those hearts would even consider being closed.  What purpose does that serve?

I do believe that Life comes with Challenges and Life comes with Lessons.  All of these "gifts" bring us into the fullest expression of who we are to be. 

I remember being evacuated at 3 a.m. to an Air Force gymnasium complete with 300 cots.  Nursing home patients were placed to the left.  I remember evacuating to Williston that night.  We were part of along line of cars headed west.  No one was headed east.  I remember being glued to any news from the town that was our home and the people who were our family there.  I remember returning home.  Yes, our house was still there; we hadn't been sure if it was.  We had water on 2 of 4 floors. I remember carrying those countless loads of soggy personal "precious" possessions to the berm.  I remember watching the piles of treasures trashed along the berm become a canyon for the cars to go down.  I remember the horrible smells.  I remember the Red Cross truck bringing food.  I remember having no lights, sewer, water, heat (and it snowed part of the time too).  I remember being able to see the Stars at night.  Why would we ever blot them out?  I remember being so grateful when the most basic of amenities returned.  I remember the cameraderie of neighbors.  Why didn't we get together much before?  I remember feeling the love and support of so many who were known and unknown to us.  I remember watching people age quickly as we worked through the stress of the times and transition.  Some died.  I remember the town felt like it had died and the people acted like something had died.  Something had.  Then a few years later something very beautiful was reborn.  I remember thinking about the stuff that I had carried to the berm.  It was only stuff.  We 3 made it fine.

May each and every person who is affected by these events find healing, peace, beauty, joy. May the doors that are being closed open up to new doors never known before.  May the beauty that is supposed to come through this experience radiate through us all.  May we as a Human Species come into the fullness of our being. It's time.

No comments: