Friday, June 10, 2011

Family Help Me Out, Please


Their faces gaze intently out at me from that old grayish cream photo. I have some clues as to who they are. I know them and I know their names, but they are not yet connected to these images.  At least, not now.
I love family history work. It's like unraveling the best mystery ever.  It's about learning about my relatives and learning more about myself. 
I am struck by how many old photos that families have which have unidentifiable ancestors.  I believe that as the family tree spreads, we each have knowledge of specific relatives that are in our direct line.  As we gather around these photos, we can each bring clues.  Maybe it is the ancestors' way of bringing us together after our long journeys apart.  I like that.  So, relatives and community members, what do you think?
This is what I know about this photo:
  • Date: August 15, 1926
  • Location: "All met at Aunt Mary South Lorton's"
  • The back tells us: "Aunt Mary Lorton passed away Jul 5"; "Grandma Myers passed away Sept. 7 1838"; "Jesse passed away Dec 23 buried Dec 26 1938"; "Less Lorton left for Boise Idaho May 1938, came home the last of May or June 1st 1938"; "Fred passed away June 12-1944 buried June 14 1944"; "Uncle Gid Lorton died Apr 20 1944".
Assumptions:
  • The people written about and noted above are included in the photo (Grandma Myers might be the exception?).
  • This photo belonged to Lottie Hart Brenz (who is pictured on the left); all of the descriptions of relationship would fit. Handwriting seems similar to other samples of her hand.
  • All of the individuals in the picture somehow are in relationship with Mary South Lorton.
Who is in the picture? I can identify the following:
  • Lottie Hart Brenz (woman at far left in vertically striped dress); Lottie is my Grandmother.
  • Mary South Lorton (woman at center, gray dress, no trim)
  • Thelma Louise Brenz, Lottie's oldest daughter (older child at Mary South Lorton's right shoulder)
  • Fred Albert Brenz, Lottie's husband (behind Mary South Lorton, with dark skin)
Potentially others:
  • Ruthirene Brenz and Dorothy Ione Brenz, Lottie and Fred's daughters (believed to be in front of Thelma Louise)
  • Hattie Louella Myers Hart, Jesse Hart, their 2 daughters Cecil and Freeda
  • Gid Lorton
  • Less Lorton (Cecil's husband)
Family help me out here...? Help me out with spellings too.  I have chosen to post this on our blog.  I will integrate names and corrections when they come. This is history coming alive.
   

No comments: