Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In Praise of Winter Onions

When we 1st arrived on this Little Farm, one of Mother's friends gave us "Winter Onions", which others seem to call "Walking Onions". This dear Friend and Elder has had considerable experience living on the Farm. Whenever Folks like this speak, I listen up. Their Plants, Practice and Wisdom seem a rich treasure trove accumulated and passed down by caring Generations before.

These Winter Onions are marvelous wonders that overwinter.  Then, they are our 1st Onions to dig and use in early Spring.  When we 1st begin to harvest the Winter Onions, the Green Onions that we have planted are yet a dream of what we hope to harvest. When those Green Onions are ready for eating, we give the loyal Winter Onions upon which we have depended a rest.  It is at that time that these hardy robust Onions begin to set new Onions for planting and Flowers. 

I spent some time in the patch today gathering Onions bulbs for more planting here at the Farm and for our Friends. I just cannot imagine a Farm without them. As I worked with them today, I smiled.  And the smiles of the Onions and all those Generations before seemed to bless me and my family too.

No comments: