Saturday, June 4, 2011

Random Thoughts from a Focused Day

We worked until the light waned. I put my Hoe down to take this picture. That Hoe had a very busy day.
Blanche sent us Mandan Squash Seeds which we received in the mail yesterday.  Gardeners love Seeds and they love stories too.  They love connections with their Friends too.  Blanche included a description of the Squash which is from the Mandan Tribe. 

I decided to plant a little Plot that was dedicated to the People and the Region where we spent 32 years.  I included: Arikara Sunflowers, Mandan Bride Corn, Mandan Squash.  I will add Hidatsa Beans when the Corn gets about 6-8 inches tall.  The Mandan, Arikara (Sahnish), and Hidatsa are Gardening Tribes along the Missouri River.  Thanks, Blanche, for helping us with this connection.

Earlier, Richard built me a series of Raised Beds in a Medicine Wheel Design, with a Teepee of Poles in the middle.  This area is primarily for a rainbow collection of Flowers.  I spent a good bit of time in this area of the Garden today.
 
We kept checking progress in various sections of the Garden.  We were not so busy as to wonder how things were doing.  I am happy to report that my Horticulture Beans are indeed happy.  They have put on their 2nd set of Leaves and I think they are headed for the Sky.
And I am especially pleased to report that the Rhubarb Plants are doing quite well, thank you.  We have had so much trouble growing Rhubarb from transplants which were vibrant.  Just about every plant (except 1) fizzled out on us.  That made me sad because they were plants that have special meaning.  This time, I headed back to my sources.  And before I did that I checked out the exact growing conditions that Rhubarb likes.  I surely did not know that before.  Rhubarb likes loamy, well drained soil.  It is a cool season plant.  So we built raised beds for the Rhubarb, added compost, and look at her go. 

No comments: