Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day and Day of Rest

Today was Father's Day and it was very special indeed.  We celebrated with a quiet day on the Farm. Richard made choices of what he would like to eat.  Melanie and I had input too. 

We had a Brunch of Pancakes with freshly picked Berries (Strawberries, Juneberries, Black Raspberries).  The Strawberries and Juneberries are among the last of the season.  The Black Raspberries are just starting to come in.  It's their turn.

Richard and Melanie took a walk about the Farm.  They checked in on the Berries.  For dinner, we had Barbecued Chicken, Salad, and Grilled Potatoes with Chives.  The beauty of the Food that looked up to us from our plates was just about the most we could expect from this Little Farm.

We spent the evening meandering the Garden.  Yes, we did do some weeding.  I checked in on my Cabbages.  They have really taken a hit from the Cabbage worms. I picked off what I could and offered tasty treats to the Littles.  I then powdered them with Rye Flour.  I have got to do some serious thinking about the damage and damage control.  Later, I did some transplanting, but I tried to keep it low key.

On this Day, we celebrated the Gift of Dads, Richard especially.  It seems like it would be good to do some reflection on what it means to have a Dad and what it means to be a Mom. That seems deep and rich to think about.

I checked out the Biodynamic Calendar which told me that today was a Root Day.  I shook my head in the negative at that possibility. Then I wrote 2 notes on the Slate:  "Happy Father's Day" and "Day of Rest".  We have been really busy for quite a while here on the Farm.  It's time to get serious about periodic rests that replenish us all.

As we settle in this evening, I note that we are under "Tornado Watch" until 2a.m.  It's tough to get settled in the rest time, when storms are about.  As an aside, we will be having a Berry Cobbler which Melanie made in the Solar Oven today.  It features a potpourri of Berries from right here at the Farm.

We have much to be grateful for on this beautiful day.  And beautiful Dads, Dear Richard are at the top of the list.

No comments: