Monday, July 13, 2009

Does Mary Have Any Idea...?


Melanie was baking Cinnamon Raisin Bread today. I know it is going to be a good day when I smell that wonderful Yeasty Aroma of Bread Rising even before I arise myself.

A little later, I came downstairs to start my Day and to check on the doin's in the Kitchen. While Melanie was puttering away in the Kitchen, she said: "I wonder if Mary has any idea how much we have enjoyed her Cinnamon Raisin Bread?" Mary Morken was our next door Neighbor when we lived in Grand Forks. One day, she just appeared out of the Blue on our doorstep with this lovely Loaf of Bread. Melanie says: "I believe we inhaled it."

We liked it so much that she gave us the Recipe. It has become a staple ever since. We surely enjoy the Bread but we also enjoy the thoughts of our Neighbors which seem to be tucked into the whole experience.

Homemade Bread is an amazing Food. While one can surely list the Ingredients, I think that Homemade Bread from someone that you love is a Generous Hug you hold right there in your Hands.

People should make Bread more, from scratch and the Old Fashioned Way. And we should be sharing it with Those We Love. Note to Mary: We did not name our Black Australorp Pullet after your new Baby Neighbor Eleanor.

No comments: