Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gift of the Whole Universe

We had a Yummy Breakfast today, most of which was from this little Farm. I wanted Omelets with Veggies from the Garden. So we grabbed a Collander and a Paring Knife, and headed out for a Gardening Walk and Meditation. The Ever Curious Chickens met us at the Gate: "Whatcha Got?" To which we responded: "Good Morning, Ladies."

We gathered: Lacinata Kale, Tomato, Sweet Pepper, Walla Walla Onion, Zuchini (a very small one since we had picked yesterday), 4 Green Beans, Small Bunch of Broccoli, 2 Carrots, Basil. The Carrots were our 1st of the Season. They were beautiful. I added 1 Clove of Garlic, which we already had inside.

I cut up and sauteed the Veggies. I like to do this whole process slowly, mindfully. Richard made the Omelets from Eggs of our Lovely Hennies. We embellished the Omelets with the vibrant Veggies and Kefir Cheese (which we made from Raw Milk from the Beautiful Cows of our Farmer Friends Brad and Jane). I toasted Sour Dough Whole Grain Bread that Melanie had made and I added heaping spoonfuls of Strawberry and Black Raspberry Spreads. The Strawberries were from here. The Black Raspberries were from Hollis'. I made the Strawberry Spread. Melanie made the Black Raspberry.

While Richard was cooking up the Omelets, I headed back to the Garden for some Spearmint Leaves. I added leaves to 2 Mugs (one for Richard and one for me). Then I poured Boiling Water into the Mugs. For mine, I added about 1/3 teaspoon of Honey from a Local Bee Keeper. Or rather, I should say "from Local Bees". Our Word Use in this Society quickly leaves out the very sources of our Food.

When the Plates were brimming full with our Breakfast, we headed to the West Porch for a Quiet Breakfast and a great beginning to the Day. While I ate, I was reminded of a meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh that I had read some time ago. I googled his name and came up with the following which is on the Plum Village web site (http://www.plumvillage.org/HTML/practice/html/eatingTogether.htm, July 19, 2009).

"1. This food is a gift of the whole universe, the earth, the sky and much mindful work.
2. May we eat in mindfulness so as to be worthy of it.
3. May we transform our unskillful states of mind and learn to eat in moderation.
4. May we take only foods that nourish us and prevent illness.
5. May we accept this food to realize the path of understanding and love."

No comments: